Friday, January 19, 2024

“To Hell and Back” • by Kai Delmas


Standing before the gates of Hell, I yell for Death to come and face me.

A dark hooded figure glides through the black gate.

“You know why I’m here. I won’t let you take him away from me.”

Death chuckles as skeletal hands slip from his robe and a scythe forms from the ether.

But I won’t be cowed.

“Give him back! I challenge you…”

Smoke rises and turns into a table with a chessboard.

“…to a game of poker!”

“What?” Death utters.

“That’s my challenge to get Charlie back.”

“Fine.”

The chessboard fades and cards appear.

Death never stood a chance.

Soon, the gate opens and my cat Charlie bounds into my open arms.

I’d go to Hell and back for him any day.

 




Kai Delmas loves creating worlds and magic systems. He is a slush reader for Apex Magazine and The Cosmic Background. His fiction can be found in  Zooscape, Martian, Crepuscular, and several Shacklebound anthologies. His debut drabble collection, Darkness Rises, Hope Remains, was published by Shacklebound Books. If you like his work you can support him at patreon.com/kaidelmas and find him on Twitter @KaiDelmas or Bluesky @kaidelmas.bsky.social

 




Have a Kindle? Find out what you’ve been missing!
Buy the four latest issues with just one click!

(Or buy just one, if that’s what you’d really prefer.)

 

The Pete Wood Challenge is an informal ad hoc story-writing competition. Once a month Pete Wood spots writers the idea for a story, usually in the form of a phrase or a few key words, along with some restrictions on what can be submitted, usually in terms of length. Pete then collects the resulting entries, determines who has best met the challenge, and sends the winners over to Bruce Bethke, who arranges for them to be published on the Stupefying Stories web site.

You can find all the previous winners of the Pete Wood Challenge at this link.

This time the challenge was to write a flash fiction piece playing off at least two of the following key words: cat, poker, storm, sandwich.

More stories to come!

0 comments: