Saturday, February 10, 2024

“A Sweet Attraction” • by Robin Blasberg


His mouth had watered when he first entered her confectionery shop. He hoped to learn her secrets and didn’t hesitate to ingratiate himself towards her. She, on the other hand, had other things in mind.

One day, she extended to him a personal invitation. Seizing the opportunity, he jumped at her offer and traveled deep into the woods to her home. His heart raced as he stepped into the clearing and laid eyes upon her house. He was entranced by its gingerbread construction. It was, in fact, irresistible. 

He was just savoring the pink cotton candy billowing from her gumdrop chimney when she came outside. “I knew I heard someone on my roof,” she said as she lassoed him with a coil of licorice and hung him from a candy cane. “Did you find it tasty?” she asked in a taunting tone.

“I’m sorry. I won’t do it again. I couldn’t help myself,” he pleaded. 

“I know exactly what you mean when you say that you couldn’t help yourself.” She smiled at him mischievously, her teeth gleaming like sugar cubes. 

He shuddered and began to panic. “Let me down!” he cried.

“Don’t worry,” she said sweetly. “You’ll be off the hook soon.” 

The oven was ready.

 

________________________________________


Robin Blasberg’s sweet tooth never fails to both captivate and inspire her. Look out for the unexpected because clever twists and surprise endings are trademarks of her work.

If you enjoyed this story, be sure to check out “The Night Parade,” also in Stupefying Stories SHOWCASE.





Have a Kindle? Find out what you’ve been missing!
Buy the four latest issues with just one click!

(Or buy just one, if that’s what you’d really prefer.)

1 comments:

Hans said...

LOL What a great riff on Hansel and Gretel!