Thursday, October 28, 2021

Q: Is Privateers of Mars a comic book?

 

This question has been asked before, but now that it’s been asked again I suppose I’d better answer it. No, PRIVATEERS OF MARS is not a comic book or graphic novel. Structurally it’s three sequential short stories that add up to the length of a novella. I rather liked the way one reviewer put it: “it reads like three episodes of a great science fiction show that you wish someone would make.”

I can understand mistaking it for a comic book. The cover art is almost exactly what I thought I wanted at the time; an action scene that captures the energy of manga or anime. It ties in with what I thought would be my advertising hook: “If you liked Cowboy Bebop, you'll love Privateers of Mars.”

It doesn’t really work for selling a prose adventure story, though. 

That said, I do think that PRIVATEERS OF MARS would make a great graphic novel or limited-run comic book series. If I knew someone who knew something about comic book scripting and art, and if I had a better idea for distributing it than to fling it out on Amazon and hope that someone notices, I could be interested in moving in that direction.

Hmm. Now that I look at the listings again, I notice that the titles, subtitles, and descriptions for the Kindle and paperback editions are different and must be entered separately. Shrug. One more thing to fix. 

In the meantime…

BUY IT NOW ►

1 comments:

~brb said...

Hmm again. Once you've published a paperback edition, the title and subtitled are locked. You can edit the book description, but cannot change the subtitle. Another useful thing to know.