Monday, May 22, 2023

“Scarlet Rain” • by Eric Fomley


“Mother of God,” Private Sanchez says. He’s pale as he stares at the mothership hovering a mile above us.

“Huge, isn’t it?” I point to the ship’s underbelly. “See those two vats? Command says the fuel tanks are full of human blood.”

“So Earth’s just a fuel station to them?” He looks like he’s gonna puke.

I shrug. “Galaxy’s a messed up place.”

I grab the targeting laser and mark a structural weak point.

“Don’t worry,” I say as the air strike approaches, “it’ll be like popping a tick.”

Sanchez vomits.

I cover my head before it starts to rain.

__________________________

Eric Fomley’s stories have been published at Clarkesworld, Daily Science Fiction, and Galaxy’s Edge Magazine. More of his stories can be found on his website ericfomley.com.


You’ll also find a bunch of Eric’s stories here on Stupefying Stories, at this link. Personally, I’d start with “End Program.”

This week’s Pete Wood Challenge was to write a 150-word or less story that includes the word, “Rain.” To see the previous winners of previous challenges, click this link.


» Support Stupefying Stories • Subscribe | Donate »

0 comments: