Thursday, August 19, 2021

Status Update • 19 August 2021

 

Three weeks now since my wife was discharged from the hospital. Since then we’ve had an almost-constant stream of doctor’s appointments, follow-ups, hospital out-patient procedures, and various nurses and therapists parading in and out of the house, all while sticking to her every-eight-hours infusion regimen. I’ve gotten pretty good at handling the equipment and performing the procedure and can now do it without waking her. Still, it takes roughly an hour to prep, do the infusion, and clean up afterward, so there go three hours out of every day. 

I remain amazed by the sheer volume of plastic waste modern medicine produces. That’s something to factor into your next post-Apocalyptic novel. There will be a lot of people checking out in the first days after The End of the World As We Know It, as they won’t be able to get their perishable medications and disposable medical supplies. On top of everything else, because her meds must be kept in a carefully temperature-controlled state, each week we get a new one-cubic-foot Styrofoam cooler packed with the coming week’s supplies. I’m hanging on to all of the coolers, as in a few more weeks I figure I’ll have enough to pass on to the grandkids, and then they can play Minecraft in real life.

In the meantime, everything else here at Stupefying Stories and Rampant Loon Press is taking a back seat to the medical situation and I’m running on about 4~5 hours of sleep daily, so here’s a picture of a cat.

—Bruce Bethke

2 comments:

Mark Keigley said...

Best wishes for you guys and don't forget to pet the cat. I've heard it's soothing for the petted and the petee...

Sarah J. McNeal said...

I pray for your wife's recovery. The situation must be extremely difficult for her. Be sure to take care of yourself while you help her through this, and God bless you for the strength and love you are giving her.

As a critical care nurse I noticed the plastic waste from disposable medical supplies and the lack of recycling for the things that can be recycled. Early in my career we used glass bottles for IV fluids and liquid medications. I imagine they stated using plastic bags for solutions because glass bottles do break sometimes, and once I remember a confused patient chasing nursing staff with a broken IV bottle--so kinda dangerous in the wrong hands. We tried to get the hospital administrator to allow us to recycle soda cans and cardboard, but they didn't seem interested in doing so.
I so agree with you about the Styrofoam coolers. I can't even think of a way to repurpose that--insulation for a dog house maybe? I know there has to be an alternative out there for something sustainable to replace that.
I pray for your wife's recovery Stay strong.