Friday, September 3, 2021

Talking Shop: Eric's Writing Challenge Update 11

Somewhere along the line, these updates migrated from every Friday all the way over to Monday. So, I'm going to try to correct that here with a second update this week.

Let's start with the writing challenge. 

To date, I've racked up approximately 55,900 words toward the 87,500-word writing challenge goal. That puts me around 64% of the way there. I wrote about 3500 words since the last update, which works out to around 875 words per day across 4 days. 

On to Rinn's Run.

Total Words Completed: Approximately 64,250

Total Chapters Completed: 32 (almost 33)

Percentage Completed (theoretical): Around 64%

My daily average words went up a little since last week, though I can't credit any specific reason for that. I'm chalking it up to the natural variability in how well-rested I am on any given day, along with natural variability in coffee consumption from week to week.

I'm more confident now that I'm at least at the midpoint for the book, but less certain about how far past it I might be. That original target goal of 100,000 words might end up being a little under the mark for a completed draft. 

Responses from alpha readers who are getting this thing in 5000-10,000-word blocks have been thoroughly positive so far. So, hopefully, no one will hold it against me if this thing runs a little long. 

 _______________________________________________

Eric Dontigney is the author of the highly regarded novel, THE MIDNIGHT GROUND, as well as the Samuel Branch urban fantasy series and the short story collection, Contingency Jones: The Complete Season One. Raised in Western New York, he currently resides near Dayton, OH. You can find him haunting obscure sections of libraries, in Chinese restaurants or occasionally online at ericdontigney.com.

0 comments: