Thursday, May 5, 2022

Wrapping Up Heinlein Week

I was planning to write something more substantial to wrap up what’s turned out to be Ad Hoc Robert Heinlein Week here on Stupefying Stories, but Otogu interfered in a big way. Therefore, instead of a long piece about how I cut my teeth on Heinlein’s novels and stories and what a giant shadow the man has cast over the genre, I will instead post a photo. It is said that a picture is worth a thousand words. (And the more cynical writers among you will add, “And a thousand words ain’t worth jack in today’s market.”) This is a picture of just a part of the Heinlein Shelf in our library.

 

These are just some of the mass-market paperbacks: about half of them, I think. It’s a narrow hallway and I couldn’t back up any further to get the entire shelf in frame, and the hardcovers and trade paperbacks are in a different bookcase. 

Along with this photo, I’d like to post some questions for discussion. Answer as many or as few of these as you’d like, and make the ‘why’ of it as long or as short as you’d like.

  1. Which is your favorite Heinlein book, and why?
  2. Which is your least favorite Heinlein book, and why?
  3. Which is your favorite Heinlein short story, and why?
  4. Which is your least favorite Heinlein short story, and why?

For me, the answers are: 1.) Citizen of the Galaxy, 2.) Farnham’s Freehold, 3.) “All You Zombies,” and 4.) “The Roads Must Roll.” I don’t have time to specify why right now, but will put my comments in the Comments later. 

Over to you,
~brb

 

0 comments: