Wednesday, October 18, 2023

“Need Brains” • by Elis Montgomery

 

The trouble was, I kept mine. Jaw slack, eyes lolling, but still, somehow, there was a brain in this decaying skull. So I wasn’t starving for brains; I was dying for a cheeseburger.

My disguise got me in the diner. I smelled my order cooking, grateful the fake beard hid the drool flooding from my chinless mouth.

But then my eye popped out. A woman screamed around her milkshake. Then everyone screamed. Goodbye, cheeseburger.

I lurched at the nearest human and dug in. Brains weren’t to my taste, but when you’re hungry enough, a little imagination is the best seasoning.  

 





Elis Montgomery is a speculative fiction writer from Vancouver, Canada. She is a member of SFWA and Codex. When she’s not writing, she’s usually hanging upside down in an aerial arts class or a murky cave. Find her there or at elismontgomery.com.




Have a Kindle? Find out what you’ve been missing!
Buy the four latest issues with just one click!

(Or buy just one, if that’s what you’d really prefer.)

1 comments:

Made in DNA said...

HA! Damned if you do, damned if you don't.