Monday, October 7, 2024

“Towerless” • by Lorraine Schein


You’ve heard of me: Rapunzel.  

Stuck in that boring tower with only an old witch visiting every day to bring me food.

Then there was that mooning prince who came around, staring and reciting bad verse. I could see he wasn’t my type, so I never let my hair down for him.

I decided to take fate into my own hands. I grew my hair even longer, braided it for strength like a rope, then snipped it off. One night, I knotted it around the window’s lattice, then carefully climbed down.

Now I was without the only home I’d ever known, but free! I ran into the village. I might have to sleep on the streets awhile, but maybe I’ll find work as a hairdresser.

 


 

Lorraine Schein is a New York writer and poet. Her work has appeared in VICE Terraform, Strange Horizons, Scientific American, NewMyths and Michigan Quarterly, and in the anthologies Wild Women and Tragedy Queens: Stories Inspired by Lana del Rey & Sylvia Plath. Her book of poetry, The Futurist’s Mistress, is available from Mayapple Press. Her book, The Lady Anarchist Cafe, is out now from Autonomedia. (https://autonomedia.org/product/the-lady-anarchist-cafe/

If you enjoyed this story, you might also want to read these other stories of Lorraine’s that we’ve published: 

“The New Familiar”

“Corrections”

“Disgruntled”

“Me Time”

 



 

The Pete Wood Challenge is an informal ad hoc story-writing competition. Once a month Pete Wood spots writers the idea for a story, usually in the form of a phrase or a few key words, along with some restrictions on what can be submitted, usually in terms of length. Pete then collects the resulting entries, determines who has best met the challenge, and sends the winners over to Bruce Bethke, who arranges for them to be published on the Stupefying Stories web site.

You can find all the previous winners of the Pete Wood Challenge at this link.

This time the challenge was to write a flash fiction story of no more than 125 words in length that played off the keyword: “homeless.”

REMINDER: There is another Pete Wood Challenge that is open for submissions right now. For details, click this link.


0 comments: