Saturday, July 10, 2021

“Calling the Cloud” • by Roxana Arama


The pandemic over, I took Bella, my girlfriend, to meet Mike, my favorite waiter. He and I used to chat after dinner like there was no tomorrow. I knew he’d missed me.

A new waiter approached our table then veered off, looking distressed.

I patted Bella’s hand. “I’m pretty sure he wasn’t our waiter.”

When he returned with menus and a forced smile, I said, “Where’s Mike?”

“He’s… not with us anymore.”

“No! The pandemic?”

“Good news is he uploaded to the EverCloud.”

“Great! Give me his account number. He’ll love to see me!”

“Bad news is… he told us not to. It was his dying wish.”

¤     ¤     ¤


Roxana Arama is a Romanian-American writer and a member of Codex Writers’ Group. She has an MFA in Creative Writing from Goddard College, her work has been acknowledged in several literary contests and magazines, and she maintains the website Rewriting History: How writers turn history into story, and story into history at www.roxanaarama.com. She lives in Seattle with her family. Follow her on Twitter at @RoxanaArama.

______________________


And now, a few words from the publisher…

Bruce Bethke here. This week The Pete Wood Challenge is bringing you seven new flash fiction stories, all of which key off some slight variation on the phrase, “I’m pretty sure he wasn’t our waiter.” In an ideal world we’d like to see you express your appreciation for these stories by taking a closer look at our other magazines, chapbooks, and original novels, probably starting with STUPEFYING STORIES MAGAZINE

But if you already have all the books, ebooks, and audio books you could ever possibly use, then I’m going to switch to my old public radio on-air voice and tell you that STUPEFYING STORIES and Rampant Loon Media are supported by the generosity of readers and listeners like you. If you appreciate the kind of programming we’re bringing you, please show it by clicking this link or the button below to make a donation today. All major credit cards are accepted, and all donations go directly towards paying the authors and artists who create the content you’re enjoying on this site.


Interface with Stupefying Stories!
» kudos and complaints to: feedback@rampantloonmedia.com 
 

0 comments: